About me

I am a book addict. I cannot even deny it and I want no cure. Cultivating love and passion for reading

2 februarie 2013

Literary Birthday - James Joyce, 2 February


Happy Birthday, James Joyce, born 2 February 1882, died 13 January 1941
10 James Joyce Quotes
  1. I’ve put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that’s the only way of insuring one’s immortality.
  2. The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts.
  3. Writing in English is the most ingenious torture ever devised for sins committed in previous lives. The English reading public explains the reason why. 
  4. The artist, like the God of creation, remains within or behind or beyond or above his handiwork, invisible, refined out of existence, indifferent, paring his fingernails.
  5. Shakespeare is the happy hunting ground of all minds that have lost their balance. 
  6. When I die Dublin will be written in my heart. 
  7. The demand that I make of my reader is that he should devote his whole Life to reading my works. 
  8. What’s in a name? That is what we ask ourselves in childhood when we write the name that we are told is ours.
  9. I am quite content to go down to posterity as a scissors and paste man for that seems to me a harsh but not unjust description.
  10. Write it, damn you, write it! What else are you good for?
Joyce was an Irish novelist and poet. He is said to be one of the most influential writers of the early 20th century. Joyce’s stream-of-consciousness style turned him into a literary celebrity, and the explicit content in his work brought about landmark legal decisions on obscenity. Joyce is best known forUlysses, DublinersA Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and Finnegans War

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...