Top 10 Victor Hugo Quotes
- He who opens a school door, closes a prison.
- An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise.
- The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved — loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.
- To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark.
- There is nothing like a dream to create the future.
- Architecture has recorded the great ideas of the human race. Not only every religious symbol, but every human thought has its page in that vast book.
- A library implies an act of faith.
- He loved books; books are cold but safe friends.
- One resists the invasion of armies; one does not resist the invasion of ideas.
- What a grand thing, to be loved! What a grander thing still, to love!
Hugo was a French author whose works include novels, plays, essays, and poems. In France, he is best known as a poet but in the English-speaking world he is most famous for his two historical fiction novels, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Les Misérables.
for Writers Write