About me

I am a book addict. I cannot even deny it and I want no cure. Cultivating love and passion for reading

29 ianuarie 2013

Literary Birthday - Anton Chekhov, 29 January


Happy Birthday, Anton Chekhov, born 29 January 1860, died 15 July 1904
Anton Chekhov: 10 Quotes on Writing
  1. One usually dislikes a play while writing it, but afterwards it grows on one. Let others judge and make decisions.
  2. Write only of what is important and eternal.
  3. All I wanted was to say honestly to people: ‘Have a look at yourselves and see how bad and dreary your lives are!’ The important thing is that people should realize that, for when they do, they will most certainly create another and better life for themselves.
  4. Medicine is my lawful wife and literature my mistress; when I get tired of one, I spend the night with the other. 
  5. Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass. 
  6. The task of a writer is not to solve the problem but to state the problem correctly.
  7. A writer is not a confectioner, a cosmetic dealer, or an entertainer. 
  8. It’s easier to write about Socrates than about a young woman or a cook.
  9. The role of the artist is to ask questions, not answer them.
  10. Wisdom…. comes not from age, but from education and learning.
Chekhov was a Russian physician, dramatist and author who is considered to be among the greatest writers of short stories in history. His career as a dramatist produced four classics and his best short stories are held in high esteem by writers and critics. Chekhov practised as a doctor throughout most of his literary career.
for Writers Write

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...