About me

I am a book addict. I cannot even deny it and I want no cure. Cultivating love and passion for reading

17 ianuarie 2013

Literary Birthday - Anne Brontë, 17 January


Happy Birthday, Anne Brontë, born 17 January 1820, died 28 May 1849
Anne Brontë: Five Quotes
  1. But smiles and tears are so alike with me, they are neither of them confined to any particular feelings: I often cry when I am happy, and smile when I am sad.
  2. I am satisfied that if a book is a good one, it is so whatever the sex of the author may be. All novels are or should be written for both men and women to read, and I am at a loss to conceive how a man should permit himself to write anything that would be really disgraceful to a woman, or why a woman should be censured for writing anything that would be proper and becoming for a man.
  3. Reading is my favourite occupation, when I have leisure for it and books to read.
  4. If you would have your son to walk honorably through the world, you must not attempt to clear the stones from his path, but teach him to walk firmly over them - not insist upon leading him by the hand, but let him learn to go alone.
  5. No one can be happy in eternal solitude.
Anne Brontë was the youngest member of the Brontë literary family. She lived most of her life with her family on the Yorkshire moors. She worked as a governess between 1839 and 1845, and then wrote a volume of poetry with her sisters (Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell, 1846) and two novels, Agnes Grey, and  The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. Anne died at the age of 29.
from Writers Write

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...