About me

I am a book addict. I cannot even deny it and I want no cure. Cultivating love and passion for reading

5 septembrie 2012

TRUE!


Lay or Lie

Lay is a transitive verb.
Transitive verbs need a subject and one or more direct objects.
The present tense is ‘lay’.
Example: I (subject) lay the blanket (direct object) on the bed.
The past tense is ‘laid’.
Example: I laid the blanket on the bed.
Lie is an intransitive verb.
Intransitive verbs don’t need direct objects.
The present tense is ‘lie’.
Example: The girls lie between the rocks.
The past tense is ‘lay’.
Example: The girls lay between the rocks.
Most common mistake:
Don’t use the past tense of ‘lay’ when you should use the past tense of ‘lie’.
Don’t say: He laid on the beach. Do say: He lay on the beach.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...