About me

I am a book addict. I cannot even deny it and I want no cure. Cultivating love and passion for reading

8 noiembrie 2012

Literary Birthday - Kazuo Ishiguro, 8 November


Happy Birthday, Kazuo Ishiguro, born 8 November 1954
I loveeeed  "The Remains of the Day" and "Never let me go" 
Kazuo Ishiguro: Nine Quotes On Writing
  1. I started as a songwriter and wanted to be like Leonard Cohen. I’ve always seen my stories as enlarged songs.
  2. As a writer, I’m more interested in what people tell themselves happened rather than what actually happened. 
  3. I really have to think of the things fiction can do that film can’t and play to the strengths of the novel. With a novel you can get right inside somebody’s head.
  4. I think I had actually served my apprenticeship as a writer of fiction by writing all those songs. I had already been through phases of autobiographical or experimental stuff. 
  5. Memory is quite central for me. Part of it is that I like the actual texture of writing through memory.
  6. What is difficult is the promotion, balancing the public side of a writer’s life with the writing. I think that’s something a lot of writers are having to face. Writers have become much more public now. 
  7. I want my words to survive translation. I know when I write a book now I will have to go and spend three days being intensely interrogated by journalists in Denmark or wherever. That fact, I believe, informs the way I write-with those Danish journalists leaning over my shoulder.
  8. Screenplays I didn’t really care about, journalism, travel books, getting my writer friends to write about their dreams or something. I just determined to write the books I had to write.
  9. I don’t think it’s any fun, even if you are one of the most respected authors in the world like Margaret Atwood, to keep being nominated and not win.
Kazuo Ishiguro is a Japanese-born British novelist. He is is one of the most celebrated contemporary fiction authors in the English-speaking world. He has been nominated for the Man Booker Prize four times. He won in 1989 for The Remains of the Day. In 2008, The Times ranked Ishiguro 32nd on their list of ‘The 50 greatest British writers since 1945’.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...